Excelsior Academy

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Plans for the New Year

As I prepare for our upcoming new year and term, I am reflecting on what I want to accomplish and what we have done. I realize that I really need to focus more of my attention on developing my students, not just academics but character as well.

Our
CMason Study group is reading "When a Child Loves to Learn" and I must admit that it has given me a whole new perspective of a Charlotte Mason Education. I am finding that it is more than the snippets you can glean here and there, it truly encompass more of the life of the learner and not just the academics. I've been able to relax in my thinking but I do realize that more could be done on my part, as the home educator, but I am too stretched in different directions to be truly effective. I'm glad we are reading this book slowly and I look forward to reading the rest of the book, though I think it will definitely be a re-read in the future.

The following quote has sparked my interest in simplifying so that I can be more effective:
"Education is not a life later; it is a life now." p112
As I reflect on this statement, I realize that I have been planning for the future but not truly taking stock of the now. This is their educational (mine too) life now and we need to focus on the now and not what is to become. I've been struggling with not being prepared enough for the future, for not planning the proper course for college bound students, for not being able to teach something, when in reality the only concern I need is the now. What can I do now to improve their education life and draw them toward the life they are to lead later? Am I fulfilling the requirements of an effective home educator, or am I simply doing whatever necessary to get it done and over with. I really don't want to be the latter but I think I have not been taking myself or what I need to do seriously enough to be more than that. I want more out of our homeschool and therefore, it will require more of me. Ooch! thats the part that I've been negligent of mainly. I am grateful that the Lord is patient, kind, longsuffering and has a way of turning everything around for our good.

As I prayerfully plan our next steps, taking in to account the things that are important and some long range goals, I'll be able to balance homeschooling better. It is my prayer that we grow, learn and share together. I am purposing to make changes in me first, then I am certain the changes in the dc will come. CMs style is very gentle and peaceful, which is what our lives need at this time, and I do miss our teachable and impromptu moments that are breed in this type of atmosphere.

My first lesson plan assignment will be: Creating an atmosphere to grow in. Hmm, I like the sounds of that. I'll share more as I develop my thoughts, read more CM and rest in the Lord's care, letting Him lead and direct our progress (He does such a better job at it than I).

May you all have a blessed day!

Labels: ,

posted by Dawn ;) at 12:43 AM

1 Comments:

I really like this thought about working on what we have in the present! When I have some time to write this week, I'll link back to your post. Merry Christmas!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home